POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : which mathematics does POV-Ray use? : Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: which mathematics does POV-Ray use?
From: marky addison
Date: 17 Nov 2009 05:50:00
Message: <web.4b027fcf58e10a053a7b232a0@news.povray.org>
> marky.addison schrieb:
>
> > what I need are differential equations that POV-Ray uses.
> > Can you send me some link. Thanks!
>
> Could you be somewhat more specific?
>
> At its core, raytracing is about vector math, not differential
> equations. There are pretty likely some underlying differential
> equations involved for stuff like the fresnel formula used in
> refraction, or the phong / blinn-phong highlights, but someone else
> wrecked their brains earlier to come up with quite simple equations,
> with all integrals or derivatives either solved or approximated already.
>
> As for radiosity, it does perform some integration, but it does so
> numerically using a monte-carlo-like approach.
>
> I really wouldn't know off the top of my head where you expect to be
> differential equations involved.

Clipka thank you very much for your cooperation. ;)

I am trying to figure out what mathematics does POV-Ray use.
Does it use more Raytracing or Radiosity or it combines both?
How does it make shadows (isn't it with radiosity)?
So I need some formulas, integrals and derivatives so I can
better understand how it works.

Thanks